Fun Facts About Tom
- Thomas Edison’s favorite holiday was 4th of July; and he made his own fireworks to celebrate the day with some really loud boomers too!
- Edison was a big fan of the American revolution writer Thomas Paine.
- Edison was a big supporter of solar energy way back in the early 1900s. His famous quote about it was…”I’d put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we don’t have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that.”
- Edison was responsible for the words “Hello” on the telephone; and “bugs” in unproven inventions and new systems.
- Edison and his son Charles played very important roles in the US Navy in both WWI and WWII.
- Edison had the most recognizable face in the world, when newspapers and magazines were the chief means of communicating news.
- Edison was quite fond of pie, which friends joked that he ate by the yard.
- Edison had a tattoo on his forearm, a quincunx, like the face of the number “five” on a dice cube.
- A practical joker was Edison, and he gave as good as he got.
- His first two children were nicknamed “Dot” and “Dash” in honor of his early telegraph days.
- He taught his second wife Mina Morse Code, and proposed to her by taping it out on her palm. She tapped back, “Yes”.
- Regular bathing was not a big deal for Edison, and he often went several days without it.
Leave a Reply