Thomas Edison Lightbulb

Let there be Light!Thomas Edison on Time Magazine

Historians agree that Thomas Edison was not the inventor of the electric light bulb, but he did produce the first commercially viable one. Earlier light bulbs were experimented with as far back as 1802; and there were 23 others who had invented light bulbs, some of whom were still working on them at the time of Edison’s work.

Three factors in combination are generally recognized as contributing to Edison’s success:

1. A durable incandescent material
  2. Elimination of air from the bulb-a better vacuum
  3. A filament material of high resistance

This is an early sketch from Thomas Edison of his light bulb.

Thomas Edison’s serious incandescent light bulb research began in 1878, filing his first patent later that year…”Improvement In Electric Lights” in October 1878. His experiments involved the fabrication and testing of many different metal filaments, including platinum. Platinum was very difficult to work with, and prone to being weakened by heating and oxygen attack.

In addition, platinum was expensive, and too low in resistance; which would require heavy copper conductors in Edison’s electric distribution system he was designing to supply commercial installations of his bulbs. This system would later become the model for our modern electric utility power distribution system of today.

Edison then resorted to a carbon-based, high-resistance, filament. One year later in October 1879 Edison successfully tested a filament that burned for 13.5 hours. Continuing to improve his design, by November 1879, he filed for a U.S. patent for an electric lamp using “a carbon filament or strip coiled and connected … to platina contact wires”. The filament was made from a piece of carbonized thread.

From coneption to invention, this is one of Thomas Edison's early light bulbs.

By New Year’s he was demonstrating lamps using carbonized cardboard filaments to large crowds at the Menlo Park laboratory. It was not until several months after the patent was granted that Edison and his team discovered that a carbonized bamboo filament could last over 1200 hours. A year later, Edison began manufacturing commercial lamps using carbonized Japanese bamboo as filaments.

Throughout his career, Edison worked on many improvements to his signature invention, an invention that literally changed the way we live after dark. Prior to the light bulb, folks burned lamp oils or used manufactured natural gas for illumination, a rather dangerous way to provide illumination. Electric lights became cheap, safe, and convenient to use and the public and commercial concerns installed them in rapidly increasing numbers. The rest is history.

130 Comments

1. TommyCord says:

Other notable Edison inventions are the motion picture camera (movies) and the phonograph (voice recorder).

2. TommyCord says:

Edison’s 2nd grade teacher complained to his mother that your boy seems very dim; all he does is sit and look out the window. His mother immediately pulled him out of school and taught him the 3R’s at home.

He never was very good at math. He famously said, “If I ever need a mathematician, I’ll hire one.”

3. GirlJustSaying says:

This helped so much for the project im doing. very simple in words and easy to understand.
    Thanks so much! ❤

4. love spells says:

Hi there,I read your blog named “Thomas Edison Lightbulb | Thomas Edison Muckers” on a regular basis.Your humoristic style is awesome, keep up the good work! And you can look our website about love spells.

5. KingofThings says:

Hello! I’m an Edison ‘fan’. I’ve been to ‘Edison’ many times and Menlo Park as well. I was there in Edison for the rededication and lighting of the tower.
    A block away from my home works a guy who states he is related. His last name is Edison.
    I have brought him things from the museums.
    I’m pleased to have stumbled over this site!
    🙂

6. I HAVE DIABETES says:

I LIKE PIE AND CHICKEN

7. I HAVE DIABETES says:

HEHEHEHEHHEHEHEHEHEHE

8. I HAVE DIABETES says:

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIGGGGHHHHHHTTTTTTTBBBBBBUUUUULLLLLLBBBBBBBBBBBBSSSSSS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEE PRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSYYYYyyyyyyyyaTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

9. BOIII says:

Boii if you dont get your

10. Babby daddy 226666 says:

Lick lick lick like my d..ck

11. Forrest Shittt says:

Very slurpalishus

12. dfnhrtb says:

kien es el autor

13. Luxe Revival says:

certainly like your website however you need
    to take a look at the spelling on quite a few of your posts.

A number of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very troublesome to inform
    the truth then again I’ll surely come again again.
    Luxe Revival´s last blog post ..Luxe Revival

14. Hello, i feel that i noticed you visited my site thus
    i got here to go back the prefer?.I’m trying to in finding issues to improve my
    web site!I assume its ok to make use of some of your
    concepts!!
    Lash Rejuv Serum´s last blog post ..Lash Rejuv Serum

15. I am thankful that I found this web site, precisely the
    right info that I was searching for!
    Robolyvn Power Review´s last blog post ..Robolyvn Power Review

16. great issues altogether, you simply received a emblem
    new reader. What would you recommend about your post that you just made some days ago?
    Any positive?
    Vivid Skin Cream Review´s last blog post ..Vivid Skin Cream Review

17. Vigotrex says:

Thanks a lot for being my personal coach on this
    theme. I enjoyed your current article quite definitely and most of all enjoyed reading the way you handled the areas I regarded as being controversial.
    You happen to be always rather kind to readers like me and help me in my everyday living.
    Thank you.
    Vigotrex´s last blog post ..Vigotrex

18. I like examining and I think this website got some truly utilitarian stuff on it!
    Pure Simple Healing Hemp Oil´s last blog post ..Pure Simple Healing Hemp Oil

19. You gay faggot you should die die die in pie pie pie
    Big gay Homosex´s last blog post ..Homemade Amateur Swinger Threesomes

20. Krys says:

This article is so typical of how people rewrite history…do more, and better research before you make claims that paint a picture of how the lightbulb was improved…Lewis Latimer is not mentioned anywhere in your article. So consistent; since the beginning all white people want to do is lie, cheat, steal, and kill. It’s too much like the right thing to do to give credit where credit is due.

21. ved kinjawadekar says:

This article helped me a lot for my project. Thanks!

22. Bleh says:

To Krys: Whoa, that’s going a little far. I see your point and I get what you meant, but not all white people “lie, cheat, kill, and steal.” I would never do any of these things, and I am white. Yes, it was dishonest of Thomas Edison to not give more credit, but you might want to be a tad more careful how you word things.

23. Someone..... says:

Ummm….
    Wasn’t it Joseph Swan who first invented it, and then Edison made one later on….

24. kath106 says:

this was very help full for my project im working on, thanks you

25. BOI says:

whats up my bros and haters go fuck ur mom

Trackbacks / Pingbacks