BREAKING NEWS: Edison and Einstein appear in cameo shots in a trailer promotion for Disney’s new film, “Tomorrow Land”, a movie to premier soon in Japan. George Clooney stars in the movie.
When you hear these names your mind naturally associates them with people who changed the world. They tend to bring smiles to your heart and mind-three men who did some really cool things; and who shared some very interesting commonalities you can read about below.
- All three had issues with formal schooling-experiencing problems with the emphasis on rote memory; and little room for other ways of learning. They
may have all suffered from dyslexia, and related learning problems.
- These great achievers valued hard work, creativity and imagination in their pursuits.
- Persistence characterized their work, bringing forth ideas in spite of repeated failures; and learning through failure.
- With an eye on the future, these innovators knew how valuable it was to be pushing the envelope of thought; and doing so in the service of humanity.
- They all went beyond conventional problem solving– ”disruptors”, as we would say today.
- Read and learned from a wide variety of fields and literature.
- Kept advancing and refining their ideas.
- Were playful, humorous, and even played practical jokes on friends/co-workers.
Consider some quotes from these gentle, giant, applicators:
“I never perfected an invention that I did not think about in terms of the service it might give others… I find out what the world needs, then I proceed to invent …“
“To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.”
“Surprises and reverses can serve as an incentive for great accomplishment. There are no rules here, we’re just trying to accomplish something”
“Try to become not a man of success, but try rather to become a man of value.”
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”
“The aim [of education] must be the training of independently acting and thinking individuals who, however, see in the service to the community their highest life problem.”
“If you can dream it, you can do it.” [Walt once quipped, the whole Disney adventure started with a mouse and a dream.]
“It’s kind of fun to do the impossible.”
“The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.”
Thomas Edison said, “If we all did the things we are really capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves …”
Time ® is a registered trademark of Time Inc.
Einstein was a Jew and a Zionist the other two were Nazis.
please don’t compare the two Einstein is a God compared
See my tribute to Edison and my collaboration with his son Theodore when creating his father’s sculpted likeness.