Built in 1913, the Edison battery manufacturing facility dominated the Thomas A. Edison industrial landscape at his legendary West Orange site. His batteries were used all over the world in a myriad of applications–probably Edison’s most successful and maybe his most profitable product. Constructed from the same Edison Portland Cement formulation he used to build all his West Orange buildings (and the same formulation he sold to NYC to build Yankee Stadium), the landmark building is now being lovingly converted to apartments to be named Edison Village.
Prism Capital Partners in 2016 launched construction for Edison Village, encompassing 21 acres on Main Street, in the heart of West Orange Township’s Downtown Redevelopment Area. The first phase of the project is highlighted by the adaptive reuse of the Historic Thomas Edison Battery Building and will contain approximately 334 residential units, 18,400 square feet of retail and a 630-space parking structure.
Prism is now in discussions with the Edison Innovation Foundation to incorporate an Edison motif into the building which can include the licensing of artifacts, photos and other Edison materials, and can also involve potentially new Edison invoking objects. Use of available space in the renovated building for special Edison presentations and gatherings is also being discussed.